Sunday, February 19, 2012

Equipment: clothing.


Alright, I was going to do a scavenging bit next, but I realized that I really need to address something first: equipment.  I love figuring out what would work out best for a situation, and since it's all in my head, I can run up the price as much as I want.  Of course, real life isn't very kind to my dream lists (which is why I like rejecting it and substituting my own), so I thought up a pretty good "survival package" for those of us who don't have twenty-some thousand dollars to blow on gear.  Just remember (please) that the list is designed as a general kit for a narrow latitudinal range.  If it doesn't work where you live, change it!  Base your kit on your circumstances.
  Lower half:
  First, you need a good pair of denims.  They're thick enough to ward off small thorns, warm enough for winter work, and durable enough to survive a human bite (it will hurt, though, so try to stay out of reach).  Get them in  dark blue or black if you can, and wear them with a belt or suspenders.
  Second, find some long underwear, top and bottom. You'll love them above 40 degrees latitude, and extra cloth has plenty of uses wherever you go.
  Third, at least four pairs of socks.  Two should be wool, the others cotton or some other light material for warmer days and places.  Swap them out regularly, and for the sake of your feet, make sure to replace them when they begin to fray.
  Fourth, pick up a pair of comfortable shoes or boots.  Your situation will dictate which is the better choice.  Cushion inserts will let you walk further and more comfortably, and don't cost nearly so much as custom footwear.  A good sole is important, too.  Finally, break in your shoes (or boots!) when you buy them; a few weeks of wear will be more than enough to stretch them out.  Please believe me when I say that you need to stretch them out.
  Upper half:
  Start with a T-shirt that's baggy enough that you can tuck your arms into it easily.  Over it, wear a long-sleeved tee to bring the  closer in and harder to grab.  Find a hoodie or sweater for an extra layer and finish with a winter hat.  Add an overcoat or another long-sleeved shirt (or both, naturally) if you're still chilly.  It's best to wear only dark clothing, but you only really need the visible layers to be night-friendly, and if you're traveling with a group, you might want to wear an orange hat or vest so your allies know not to shoot you.

  The next part of Equipment will be a general backpack contents overview, among other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment